Hosted by the
Greater Knoxville Sertoma Club
April 12th, 2014
CELEBRATE SOUND Don’t Walk in Silence is a national fund- and awareness-raising walk created to help promote hearing health in our communities We are often asked "Why hearing health?" The answer is simple, today over 50 million people in the United States alone suffer from some kind of hearing loss. With our technological life style, that number continues to grow. Once hearing loss occurs, it cannot be restored. We can imitate it with hearing devices, but it will never be as clear or concise as it once was. After hearing is lost it becomes one of the most expensive parts of life to maintain.
Our passion is to create a world where everyone who chooses, can hear us. And our passion will compel us to raise awareness of our cause, educate those willing to understand, and support those who need our support. Hearing health needs allies and advocates, educators and healers. Sertoma communities share the common belief that attention paid to hearing health adds quality to lives and communities.
Half of the net proceeds will stay with the Greater Knoxville Sertoma Club to help fund their support for the University of Tennessee speech and hearing department, The Hearing & Speech Foundation in Maryville, TN and Friends of Tennessee's Babies with Special Needs. The other half of the proceeds will help fund Sertoma’s national hearing health mission projects such as:
• College scholarships for hard-of-hearing and deaf students;
• Scholarships for those pursuing graduate studies in
speech-language pathology or audiology;
• SAFEEars! an awareness program for the prevention of Noise Induced Hearing Loss;
• A Sound Investment campaign to promote better public accessibility for people using assistive hearing devices;
• Grants to local non-profits providing hearing healthcare in communities across the nation.
Not your event? Click here to return to the homepage